BTW: Co:Z SFTP uses IBM Ported Tools OpenSSH for the underlying ssh layer -
that is where authentication occurs.

You might want to take a look at the slides/recordings of the following
webinars on our site:

IBM Ported Tools for z/OS: OpenSSH - Key Authentication (Part 1)
IBM Ported Tools for z/OS: OpenSSH - Using Key Rings (Part 2)

http://dovetail.com/webinars.html

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com