Activate debug on both ends of connection.
Here is my jcl to do that on the client side:
//STEPNAME EXEC PGM=COZBATCH,REGION=0M,
//   PARM='ru=userid8 rh=host1.xyz.com'
//STEPLIB  DD DISP=SHR,DSN=UTIL.TCP.COZ.LOADLIB
//STDOUT   DD SYSOUT=*
//STDERR   DD SYSOUT=*
//STDIN    DD DATA
ssh_opts="-oStrictHostKeyChecking=no"