> On Sep 5, 2023, at 8:17 AM, Clem Clarke <clementcla...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> Yes, we send a bug report way back in the 1960's at Shell Oil in Melbourne.
>
> We used COND codes a lot, and it mucked everything up!
>
> Clem
>

> Colin Paice wrote:
>> I heard that IEFBR14  had the highest "bug rate" per line of code
>> 1) There was no CSECT statement
>> 2) It was not reentrant
>> 3) It did not clear R15 prior to exit
>> 4) It was missing an end statement
>>
>> I was told this over 40 years ago... and may not be true

Clem,
I still remember getting called in at 2 AM because IEFBR14 did not set r15 with
a zero before exiting. When I called it in to IBM and asked when can we expect
a fix,
I was told maybe in a month. I created my own version which did zero out r15.
The next morning my boss’s boss came down from the tower and complemented me
for fixing the issue. So quickly.
Later on in the year they handed out bonuses and I got a nice 3,000.00 check. I
did not do anything that any other competent sysprog would have done.
Ed
Ps: I just don’t remember the year but I think it was in the 1970’s (probably
late), boy do I feel old.