From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Saturday, October 7, 2023 1:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: JCL symbols used to define other JCL symbols [was: RE: Is SMP/E
needed for installs?]

On Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:41:56 -0700, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>On 9/20/2023 8:23 AM, Farley, Peter wrote:

>> ... JCL symbols as part of the definition of other JCL symbols works
>> flawlessly every time.

Is this true alike for substitution both in the name (left of the "=")

and in the value (right of the "=")?

In
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=symbols-determining-equivalent-jcl>

    Substitute all symbols.

    Symbols on JCL records are treated as if they resolved simultaneously.

Peter Relson (IIRC) answered my question hers that near midnight &DATE

and &TIME might be resolved at a time when their values are inconsistent.

This requires some explanation of "simultaneously".  There ought to be

a lock to prevent this.  (REXX does it right.)

And some explanation of the effect of resolving a symbol changing the

content of column 72 from blank to non-blank or vice-versa.

>Agreed 100%. We use that feature all the time for in-house JCL and also

>for distributed product JCL.

>This seems like a golden opportunity to test the IBM Documentation

>Feedback process.

>Give it a try and let us know if you actually get a response...

Yes.

attachments from your system.