To be honest I consider date-related variables as pooooooor when compared to batch scheduler features, especially ControlM (it is not advertisement, just opinion).
Justification:
More possibilities of when the date should be resolved. For example it can be "accounting date" - job should prepare report for 21-sept, but due to some events it was submitted day after. Etc. etc. Date calculations. It can be "day before". Not just 21-1 (what happens on 1st?), but real date for "yesterday". Summary of days (i.e. daily datasets concatenation) for each month. Despite it is 30 or 31 day. Or 28. Or 29.
...and more.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland