From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Peter Relson
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2013 2:42 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ANTMAIN takes a lot of CPU

<open can of worms>

When someone writes about "excessive" amount of CPU time, I'm always left
wondering.
"A lot" of CPU time, I understand. "More than it used to", I understand.
But "excessive" -- compared to what?

If you ask for something to be done, whether explicitly or implicitly, it
will take whatever amount of CPU time it takes.
Maybe in the ANTMAIN case (I have no idea) you're lucky it's not done
under your job and charged to you (as it perhaps could be).

If you view the amount as excessive, you might choose not to do that
something. The amount of processing done might be intentional and
necessary. Or it might be a problem. You're of course welcome to inquire
and it will be looked at. But there is no necessary correlation between
inquiry and change.

</end-open>

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design