Jon P wrote
<snip>
Mixed AMODE load modules is a bad thing and very rarely needed.
</snip>

I disagree. It's not a "bad thing".  There's nothing wrong with switching AMODE
when needed. And if you're talking about an AMODE 64 application that interacts
with z/OS system services it's not "rare" to have to switch to AMODE 31.

It is true that not all that much code needs to be AMODE 24 these days.
But there are a lot of system services not available to AMODE 64 callers so if
your application is "generally" AMODE 64 and needs system services, it might
well have to switch out of AMODE 64 to call something.

<snip>
I don't think that AMODE 24 in assembler does anything more useful than tell
the binder the program must be linked AMODE 24 (not 31/64)
</snip>
It does two things that come to mind:

  *   If this is in a section for the entry, it affects the AMODE in the
directory entry which is used by the system to decide how to give the module
control on LINK(X) etc
  *   it affects the allowable RMODE for the section (RMODE 31 conflicts with
AMODE 24) which in turn affects the RMODE of the loadmod / program object
(factoring in the possibility of RMODE=SPLIT for a program object).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design