> On 3 Nov 2023, at 10:32 pm, Paul Gilmartin
> <0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 19:42:15 +0800, David Crayford  wrote:
>>
>> Yes. But you still need the internet ...
>>
> What's the alternative?  Railway Express?  Dialup modem?

A lot of customers air-gap their mainframe systems so you can’t use package
managers. Colin Paice opened an issue for my pyzfile Python package to document
installation methods on air-gapped systems
https://community.ibm.com/community/user/ibmz-and-linuxone/discussion/reading-an-mvs-dataset-using-z-open-automation-utility.

Dave Jousma seems to have found a solution to his problem. Rocket provide an
off-line channel for ported tools but it’s only available to customers with
commercial support, in which case you have the choice of SMP/E. Most customers
that are using ported tools for critical work, such as Git, have commercial
support. Z/OS Open Tools is a great alternative if you only require free tools.
They have ported tools not available from Rocket, such as nano, which most ISPF
users will find easier to use then vim.