On Fri, 3 Nov 2023 22:24:02 -0400, Doug <dsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> SMPE claims to be the all knowing wizard but won’t do the resolution.

SMP/e is not (nor ever claimed) to be the all knowing wizard. It is a tool used
by IBM and vendors for keeping your z/OS problem free.

It does not resolve problems. It simply does what vendors tell it to do through
SMP/e statements. If a ++HOLD was forgotten, then you may not be aware of an
action, doc change and much more that you must take after the PTF is applied. A
tool is only as good as those who use it.

>The problem is I have to find and read every PTF / APAR one by one..

I'm not sure what you mean. Your processes for installing PTF's may be tedious
but you could also take the UNIX approach where you don't get the choice and
simply install bundled fixes call releases.

>Determine if the fix does what I need (maybe all the causes are documented But
>hardly ever).

Processes are not the problem. APARs document the defect and it's resolution.
Some causes may not be known.  Some people are more meticulous than others. The
failure comes down to us being human.

Also remember that z/OS is becoming more like UNIX. Skills are being lost and
diluted.