On Sun, 5 Nov 2023 00:20:52 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>IBM used to document how it assigned the prefix in sysmod ids, but its been
>decades since I've seen documentation that matched practice. What I've never
>seen violated is that the sysmod ids associated with an APAR all have the same
>numeric portion.

What *is* documented is the *range* of prefix letters used for ++APARs provided
by IBM:  A-K and V-Z.
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=sysmods-ptf-apar-usermod-sysmod-ids

I'd be surprised if specific prefix assignments were ever documented.  At first
the prefix letter was normally A, and additional prefixes might be used to SUP
the original ++APAR.  Later, some components started using different prefix
letters for each release, to make it easier to manage them in the same zone,
but the letters used different by component.  When we switched build tooling in
2017, I tried to make it the same by release for as many components as
possible:  B (to match release 7B0) for z/OS 2.3, C for 2.4, D for 2.5, now E
for 3.1.  But there are still a lot of exceptions for components that have more
than one FMID per z/OS release.

It's possible but very unlikely for the second letter and the numeric portion
to differ from the APAR number.  The tools will never build a ++APAR that way.
Nothing stops a developer from manually editing it and changing the name, and
in fact older tools allowed them to change the first letter and enter the
change in the tool so the PTF would SUP it.  Changing anything beyond the first
letter requires an admin to enter the new name, though, and I don't recall
doing that even once in 15 years.  (By odd coincidence, I was just looking into
the details of doing that last week, when a complicated situation arose with a
fix that had been canceled in an old release, but then a new APAR was opened
against that release later.)

--Glenn