Yes, TAS is doing something under the covers. Since you're giving it a
device number to talk to the OSA-ICC device, that means that device is not
owned by VTAM at all, at any time; instead, TAS is talking to it directly
using channel programming like it's a channel-attached, non-SNA 3270
terminal. Under those circumstances, there's no need tor an LBUILD/LU
combination for that device, since VTAM's not talking to it. Instead,
there's an LU definition in VTAM for TAS to pass the device through to
VTAM, and that LU (which need not be the same one for every session) is
what communicates with VTAM applications like TSO.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 8:53 AM Michael Babcock <bigironp...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Perhaps it would be better if I explain what we have.   We use the BMC
> suite of products including the Terminal Address Space (an alternate
> access method I think they call it).  Within TAS, there is a LOGON
> UCB(B400) parameter.  The B400 corresponds to the OSA-ICC definition.
> We have a Visara 500LX box that contains a 3270 session with the same
> LUNAME and CUADDR as the OSA-ICC definition (B400). We do not have a
> LBUILD for B400 CUADDR anywhere in VTAM.  I expected to see one however.
>     I assume then that the TAS is doing something under the covers and
> as such VTAM doesn't need an LBUILD for B400.  We do have LBUILDs for
> other B4xx addresses (but they don't use TAS, they are for TSO).
>
> On 11/16/2023 5:10 AM, Radoslaw Skorupka wrote:
> > W dniu 16.11.2023 o 01:47, Michael Babcock pisze:
> >> We have an OSA-ICC connection set up as a 3270 session type.   The LU
> >> Name
> >> in that definition is TERM140.  The CUA is B400.    We have a 3270
> >> session
> >> defined with the proper IP and the same LU Name of TERM140. This all
> >> works as expected.  My question is that I thought a VTAM APPL with an
> >> LUNAME of TERM140 was required but I do not see a TERM140 defined in
> >> VTAM
> >> at all.   I’m not a network guy.   Since this is working, I assume
> >> it’s not
> >> required.   Can someone enlighten me?
> >
> > In simple words, LUNAME used in OSA-ICC session definition and
> > emulator - it does NOT exist in any VTAM or TCPIP configuration.
> > Instead, VTAM use device number (devnum), which is in turn not used in
> > emulator session. However OSA-ICC session ties devnum with LUNAME.
> > Note: the same devnum can be used by different LPARs and every LPAR
> > has its own console/terminal. It is not shared, just "duplicate"
> > devnum. However OSA-ICC use devum *and* MIF and CSS to uniquely
> > identify the device.

Jay Maynard