I have already gone the VTAM Inact route but I have not tried it for EVERYONE.

If I do temporarily kick everyone to  the curb so that the dead node can be
deleted,  I have yet to find a JES command to delete a node.
Best guess at this point, using your theory is to:
   Shut all JES2 connectivity that could potential lead me to the node to be
removed.  But If I had command to shut connectivity, my problem would be solved.
   $TNODE(BADBOY),NAME=GOAWAY

No one will know who GOAWAY is and routing to anywhere should fail.

Awkward, but potentially effective