Classification: Confidential

From the APAR numbers, they are ancient and most likely do not apply to ans
z/OS system (OS 390 or earlier perhaps).
That coed is undoubtedly in the JES3 and Jes3/Plus base. I would not worry
about them.

One other thing. TDMF can move inactive page datasets. It will refuse to touch
an in-use page dataset.

The last time I did a DASD migration, I defined temporary page datasets and
used pageadd/pagdel commands to move the paging activity.
After the original page datasets had been moved, I repeated the process to go
back to the original page datasets.

HTH,

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Michael Watkins
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2023 11:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: JES3plus & TDMF

[CAUTION: This Email is from outside the Organization. Unless you trust the
sender, Don’t click links or open attachments as it may be a Phishing email,
which can steal your Information and compromise your Computer.]

Apologies for the double listing to anyone who's also seen this on the JES3-L
LISTSERV.

The government agency that employs me has three z/OS LPARs (V2R5) running on a
z15 server. The lone mainframe storage subsystem is a non-replicated,
channel-attached DS8886. This has never been a JES2 installation and Phoenix
Software’s JES3plus is now installed. While the JES3 initialization deck has
DEVICE statements for all tape drives, it has not contained a DEVICE statement
for a DASD address in over a decade. In other words, DASD allocation is not
managed by JES3.

The DS8886 will soon be replaced by a DS8950F. TDMF software will be used to
migrate the contents of the DS8886 to the DS8950F. I believe that TDMF can move
the JES3 SPOOL volumes, the SYSRES volumes, the page packs and the DASD volumes
where the coupling facility resides without issues. A co-worker insists that
all of the LPARs must be brought down, separately, so that each LPAR’s
‘sensitive’ volumes can be moved from another LPAR.

IBM documents state: ‘JES3 considerations: In order to ensure that JES3 system
defined volumes will migrate (not required for a Point-In-Time migration) in a
TDMF (or P/DAS) environment, APARs OW23271, OW28455, and OW28457 must be
applied. These APARs provides JES3 DDR support for P/DAS and therefore, will
allow the swapping of volumes. Important: All systems sharing devices where
JES3 manages the devices must be involved in the TDMF session running. This
ensures that all JES3 internal tables are properly updated. Failure to do so
will cause unpredictable results. It is recommended that the user check the UCB
for the following bit prior to copying volumes in a JES3 environment: UCBJ3DV -
device is defined to JES3. If the bit is off, TDMF will migrate the volume(s)
with no errors. If the bit is on, TDMF will make the appropriate calls to JES3
to notify JES3 of the volume redirection needed.’

Since the DASD volumes at this installation are not managed by JES3, I don’t
think these APARs are an issue. However, to assuage my co-worker’s fears, I’d
like to see whether the corresponding PTFs have been applied. Unfortunately, I
cannot find the PTFs that correspond to any of them.

Question: What PTFs correspond to APARs OW23271, OW28455, and OW28457?

Also, I’m not sure how to display the UCBs involved to verify that the UCBJ3DV
flag indicates that the volumes are not managed by JES3. Any help you can
provide on would be appreciated, particularly on how to use either UCBSCAN or
UCBLOOK macros.

::DISCLAIMER::
________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only. E-mail transmission is not guaranteed to be
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or may contain viruses in transmission.
The e mail and its contents (with or without referred errors) shall therefore
not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Views or
opinions, if any, presented in this email are solely those of the author and
may not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of HCL or its affiliates. Any
form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and / or publication of this message without the prior written
consent of authorized representative of HCL is strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any email and/or attachments, please check them for
viruses and other defects.