From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of Jon
Perryman <jperr...@pacbell.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2023 7:02 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISPF setup macro

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:59:26 +0000, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:

What you are asking does not make any sense.

>Do the LIBDEFs with DATASET pick up SPPxUSR if there is no ID keyword?

I assume SSPxUSR actually means ISPxUSR. I can only comment from what I've read
because ISPxUSR does not solve my problems.

ISPxUSR is an actual DDName that must be allocated prior to starting ISPF which
makes it valid for all applications with active LIBDEF. The documentation tells
you the search sequence. If I remember correctly, only specifying the library
name disables the LIBDEF. A quick test of specifying DATASET without the ID
will tell you it's behavior. Remember that ISPxUSR does not change during the
ISPF session. Remember you must avoid LIBDEF and ISPxUSR member collisions if
other applications are needed.

>    address TSO ALTLIB ACTIVATE 'USER(EXEC)'

To avoid REXX variable substitution, you should quote the entire ALTLIB
command. Some could inadvertently code altlib="badcmd" in the REXX.

ALTLIB is valid with and without ISPF. Executing the command prior to starting
ISPF may affect its behavior.

You will need to find the method that best suits ISPxUSR behavior.

>    address ISPEXEC ISPSTRT 'PARM LIBDEFARM(3.4)'

I don't think you mean "ISPSTRT". There is an ISPF command called "START" which
starts another logical ISPF screen but I don't think that is what you are
attempting.

I think you actually mean the TSO command ISPSTART which I believe is an alias
for ISPF and PDF commands that start ISPF. Realize that ADDRESS ISPEXEC is not
available until you start ISPF.

>I want to write a REXX script to initialize an ISPF session,

Session and initialize are not clear. I assume "session" refers to starting
ISPF instead of splitting the logical screen. You mentioned ISPxUSR so you
probably only need to LIBDEF the appropriate libraries. My guess is that you
want "ISPF CMD(%MYREXX)" If I remember correctly, the syntax is similar to
ISPEXEC SELECT.

> assuming that another script has already allocated the necessary user data
> sets and issue TSOLIB.

Since you mentioned ISPxUSR, maybe ISPLUSR would be more appropriate than
TSOLIB.

>Tentatively I assume that I need
>    address ISPEXEC LIBDEF ISPPLIB DATASET
>    address ISPEXEC ...
>    address ISPEXEC ISPSTRT 'PARM LIBDEFARM(3.4)'

"ISPEXEC ISPSTRT" doesn't look right. I would expect some form of "ISPEXEC
SELECT".