The last major RACF project I architected was for something I presume would
probably fit your clients bill here.  Some of the necessary elements we
incorporated were:

Delegated (though not via RACF means) Ownership of all RACF general resource
and dataset profiles - thereby making sure that there were people distributed
throughout the organisation who a) knew what their security requirements were,
at least conceptually, and b) took responsibility for authorising requests for
access to or changes made to the RACF definitions they 'owned'.

A naming convention that meant ownership of RACF definitions was able to be
related to specific application systems (z/OS itself was considered just
another application system running on the mainframe also - it's owner was of
course the systems programming management).

A request workflow that walked ordinary users through the process of raising a
change record for RACF definitions.  We used ServiceNow for this, with heavily
customised workflows that linked into a Configuration Management Database that
was a mirror, refreshed frequently, of the content of the RACF database.

The previously mentioned CMDB was an essential part of ensuring that we had
auditable, documented, reliable oversight - governance they like to call it
nowadays - of the process of RACF change management.  The CMDB relied heavily
on the naming convention being used to identify which application (and
therefore which responsible Owner) would be allowed to authorise requests.

An in house written started task that issued the necessary RACF commands based
on authorised changes coming through the ServiceNow workflow.

Standardisation of the format for Installation Data - which we used to describe
things such as a profiles security classification - i.e Public, Internal,
Confidential, Secret - something like that, the labels are up to you.  This
'data classification' was used to provide different versions of the ServiceNow
workflow to suit the sensitivity of the resources being manipulated.  (I would
have liked to use/abuse SECLABEL/SECLEVEL for this but that made some people
nervous :-).

A lot of SMF based audit reports, especially with respect of the more highly
classifiied resource profiles.

Two years work with a couple of sysprogs, a project manager and assistant plus
a great deal of support from the organisations management to get this task
done.  The alternative, was that we were going to need a team minimum 4 people
with solid RACF knowledge to be available as mainframe security management - so
the cost benefit analysis was quite crystal clear.

There were many other considerations that our RACF Automation project had to
consider, and we solved a lot of other historical audit related issues during
the process also and were very fortunate that we could implement some worlds
best practice mainframe security constructs (i.e. separating all batch access
on an application by application basis) as a part of the project.

Happy to discuss offline in case anyone is interested.

Cheers - Mike

PS:  the organisation already had a fully integrated IAM solution for
provisioning mainframe access and an RBAC-like construct for this, that's the
easy part - anyone without this nowadays is simply dragging the chain.