On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 15:09:57 -0500, Rick Troth wrote:

>I say you've found a BASH bug.
>I can IMAGINE how/why BASH is failing on external links, but it doesn't
>matter. The point is: IT FAILS and it should not.
>Great catch!

Is it possible that zsh properly uses a POSIX function not supported by
the external link implementation?  If so, the bug is in external link, not
in zsh.

What immediately comes to my mind is realpath(), because I've used it
recently, it might not resolve external links to paths, and the command
Ref. mentions realpath() only under zsh.

The realpath() in the z⧸OS XL C⧸C++ Runtime Library Reference is not
POSIX compliant by not accepting NULL as the *resolved_name.

--
gil