General remarks:
There are three flavours of "partitioned data set":
- PDS
- PDSE (now described as v1)
- PDSE v2

PDS/PDSE can hold data members or program members.
For programs, the difference between PDS and PDSE is significant. However for brevity let's stop talking about programs.

Now about data members like TCPPARMS, CLIST, REXX, etc.
Very few programs/applications distinguish difference between PDS and PDSE. That means you can replace PDS with PDSE almost everywhere. With the exception for IPLPARM, PARMLIB and PROCLIB I would not even check. :-)

Now PDSE v1 vs PDSE v2 - I don't know *any* scenario when the difference is important for the application.

BTW: when you install z/OS you can change PDS to PDSE. For hundreds of libraries only few (3? 5?) cannot be changed. However people tend to be reluctant and most of "PDS by default, but it could be PDSE" libraries are still created as PDS.

Sometimes it is justified by cross-sysplex sharing, but IMHO it is just a pretext.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland