Not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but .....

it should be a simple rexx procedure

/* REXX */
STRING = "TEST PROD WHATEVER"
RCS = "4 8 12"

DO  JJ = 1 TO WORDS(STRING)
    IF  WORD(STRING,JJ) = ARG(1)  THEN  RETURN WORD(RCS,JJ)
    END
RETURN 102

Invoke it with

//   EXEC  PGM=IKJEFT1B,PARM='%SILLYREX &SYMBOL'

And this step will set RC to the translated string value.

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:01:51 +0000 Cameron Conacher