Från: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> För Charles Mills
Skickat: den 12 mars 2024 18:29
Till: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Ämne: Rexx numeric digits and scientific notation question

In a Rexx program I start out by executing NUMERIC DIGITS 15 (and I have also
tried 11 and 13 and gotten the same result).

For 8947 * 8640000 I am getting a result of 7.73020800E+10 rather than the
desired 77302080000.

Is this to be expected? I interpret the Rexx documentation as saying that a
result is only converted to scientific notation when it exceeds NUMERIC DIGITS.

Where am I going wrong? Or more to the point, how do I get the desired result?

(Why do I care? I am subsequently going to add a relatively small number to the
product and don't want to lose low-order digits.)

I tried using FORMAT but unless I use it in every subsequent calculation Rexx
goes back to scientific notation and I lose low order digits.

Thanks,
Charles