And the answer is ... "The three numeric settings are automatically saved
across internal and external subroutine and function calls."

I was setting numeric digits in an initialization subroutine, so Rexx helpfully
unset it on return from initialization. I thought I had done it that way before
but I guess I have not.

Putting in a SAY for DIGITS() showed that it was 9, and I tracked it down from
there.

Thanks all for your patience and suggestions.

CM