This is related to Algol 60, IMO, not Algol 68. Algol 60 had a big influence on some machines in the 1960s.

The German mainframe Telefunken TR4, designed in the late 1950s, was a fully transistorized machine and was for some years the fastest machine built in Europe. And, as Dijkstra once said, it was "Algol in Hardware". Some 50 machines were built and one of them was delivered to the Netherlands (maybe Delft), that's probably where Dijkstra had a closer look
at this machine.

The offspring TR440 was a time sharing machine with Algol, Fortran, PL/1 (Multics), Pascal (from Zürich), COBOL, BCPL and was used at German universities until the early 1980s. I worked with it as a student from 1977 to 1981.

One of the designers of the Telefunken machines was Fritz-Rudolf Güntsch, who invented "virtual memory" (some time before it was first used in the Ferranti Atlas computer). https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz-Rudolf_G%C3%BCntsch (only available in German language, sorry). Güntsch worked with Rutishauser and Stiefel for some time (at ETH Zürich),
who both had a big influence on the creation of the Algol 60 language.

Kind regards

Bernd