On 19/03/2024 11:05 am, David Crayford wrote:
If you’re care so much about Java catching errors at compile time then why
don’t you use Kotlin instead? NPE’s are one of the most common form of Java
runtime errors that can be eliminated using Kotlins null safety.

Java's not perfect, but it is powerful and it is pretty much universally available on z/OS. I'm writing functions for others to build on e.g.:

https://static.blackhillsoftware.com/easysmf-rti/javadoc/com.blackhillsoftware.smf.realtime/com/blackhillsoftware/smf/realtime/package-summary.html

So using/targeting the language that is most available makes sense.

But my question was: Why Python? What are the reasons for using Python rather than e.g. Java?

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software