I agree with everything you've said, except the Ice storms.  They may form
some ice in winter, but not ice storms, that would be a once in a life time
event.  Snow occurs every 20 years for so.  You may be thinking of
Gainesville, GA.

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>wrote:

> Watch out for the speed traps in the area, e.g. Waldo and Lawtey, Florida.
>
> One of the benefits is likely to be the ability to take courses at the
> University at no charge. Bus rides are free on Gainesville's RTS with a
> staff ID, which means you may be able to convert from a two car household
> to a one car household (for example). There's affordable preschool ("Baby
> Gator"). Staff can use all the UFL facilities (e.g. library, tennis courts,
> etc.) generally free of charge. UFL pays for a certain number of children
> of employees to attend free of charge.
>
> Property taxes tend to be low in Florida, although that might mean a
> challenge finding good schools. (I'm not sure about the area around UFL.)
> Florida has a homestead exemption which is quite interesting and which
> still offers some protection in bankruptcy (O.J. Simpson is familiar).
> Florida was hit very hard in the mortgage/financial crisis and hasn't
> really recovered, so some parts of the state offer very affordable real
> estate. Employment at UFL is likely to be fairly stable, and working hours
> are likely to be reasonable. As mentioned there's no state income tax, and
> the sales tax rate in and around Gainesville is 6%. The local job market is
> not terribly strong, so you'll probably want to be prepared to move again
> if you leave UFL for other employment.
>
> Gainesville has an airport (GNV) which American, Delta, United, and U.S.
> Airways serve to/from their hub cities in the region. The city's elevation
> is high by Florida standards (151 feet), and it's inland so not too badly
> affected by hurricanes. Local flooding could still be a problem. Tornados
> are possible, but that's true in much of the U.S. A weather radio and a
> storm shelter are recommended. Ice storms sometimes occur in the winter,
> and its gets hot and humid in the summer.
>
> If you're looking for a position I'd seriously investigate that one. It
> looks fairly compelling.

> Timothy Sipples
> GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
> E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent
Mainline’s positions or opinions

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainline Information Systems