> "The meaning of the volume serial number shown in the VOL field varies. For a
> non-VSAM data set, it means the volume on which the data set resides. For a
> VSAM data set, it means the volume on which the catalog containing the data
> set entry resides. "
I didn't know that before. It is quite misleading, in my opinion.

> It's the zFS started task that needs TRUSTED or OPERATIONS attribute or ALTER
> authority.
Thanks for that link. It clearly states that ALTER is needed for the userid
that runs ZFS (yes, OMVSUS2 is assigned to ZFS). It is also clearly not the
whole truth. On my originating system, OMVSUS2 can mount all ZFSs just fine,
and it does NOT have ALTER access to any of them; it doesn't even appear in the
access list at all. This system is set up the same way, and it doesn't work
here.

After giving ALTER access to OMVSUS2 it STILL does not work. Assuming that this
is due to dataset profiles being cached, I restarted ZFS. After which ishell
doesn't work anymore (some sort of spawn error). I mounted the ZFS via batch
job, and now it is mounted, according to the diplay bpxoinit. So at least it
doesn't have anything to do with my SMS changes. Load off.

> 'sys1.testzfs' (lower case) does not exist.
True. It mounted without a problem once I used uppercase. The reason is
probably that HLQ SYS1 (according to IBM ADCD's setup) is not protected by
RACF, and I haven't been brave enough to attempt corrections on my own.

Did I mention I hate OMVS? This is the second time that something related to
RACF/OMVS works on one system but not on another when the setup is identical.
Or looks identical in all the obvious places. I also hate that things work when
they clearly shouldn't, according to the documentation. That makes problem
determination soooo much easier!

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my plea for help!

Barbara