In
<cae1xxde74ruwarz2_7t1x3qlccv8fykjrb5gqjawnlbasts...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 06/03/2013
   at 11:52 AM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> said:

>Something akin to regression testing is of course inescapable; but
>comprehensive unit testing of new subroutines is better and, like
>liquor, quicker.  One needs to be alerted to discrepancies, but one
>also needs to remember that many things are done wrong in old code.

That is analogous to claiming that air is better than water, or a
hammer better than a screwdriver. Unit testing is not better yhan unit
testing of new routines, it is different. Both are necessary. There is
a role for all of

  Unit testing of new routines
  Unit testing of old routines after changes, and accumulating a
  libraty of regression tests for futute changes.
  Integration testing, including a suite of regression tests.

     Atid/2        <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>