On 10 June 2013 19:58, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:
> Is anyone familiar with the "internals" of CSRCESRV run-length compression?
> I am familiar with RLE schemes in general -- typically a run of n identical
> anyone know the specifics of z/OS's scheme? What is the escape character?
> original data? (A typical scheme is <escape>1<escape>.)

I don't know, but without looking I'd guess it's SNA Character String
(SCS) format, or perhaps part of it.  The first byte would be a String
Control Byte (SCB), with the leftmost two bits indicating what
follows, and the rightmost six containing the length of the run of
data. Of course there might well be higher level header info.

00      cccccc  No compressed characters follow
10      cccccc  Repeat blanks
11      cccccc  Repeat the following non-blank character
01      cccccc  Compacted characters follow

The above is from the NJE Formats & Protocols book, but it's
documented in lots of places, including non-mainframe ones.

It should be pretty easy to check my guess against your data -
certainly if you have raw and compressed data to compare.

Tony H.