On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:51:14 -0400, August Carideo <august.cari...@avon.com>
wrote:

>Has anyone converted XCF / GRS ( CNC / CTC ) from ESCON to FICON ?
>we are looking into this because EC12 has no ESCON thanks to those
>Einsteins at IBM
[...]
>But this question is really geared towards GRS etc. so ignore rest of my
>rant

It's not that bad.  I liked not having to track CTC/CNC pairs any more.  At a
previous shop the migration was seamless, however...

- We moved from shared ESCON channels.  From experience, dedicated ESCON (or
3088) migration to shared FICON CTCs are more involved.  If you are on
dedicated paths, take the time and effort to understand and implement shared
CTCs.  I took a page from a colleagues' playbook and drew a chart for the
migrations.  Adding in devices later was much easier with established numbering
conventions.  Pay particular attention to CUADD on your CTC control units.

- We had FICON directors to run the FCTC channels through.  If you have more
than one CEC, especially if you are connecting across buildings, FICON
directors are worth consideration for redundancy and bandwidth.  While
directors also enable you to share FCTC channels with other devices, I wouldn't
recommend piggy-backing XCF CTCs with other devices.

- Obtain and read the "FICON Planning and Implementation Guide" Redbook:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246497.html?Open

There is a FICON CTC RedPaper, but it's over 10 years old, and hopefully
incorporated into the Redbook.

Good luck,
Art Gutowski