On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 08:42:10 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>- ... (assuming he had write access to the load library, or to "protected"
>memory).

Il va sans dire.

>- Our "key" (licensing, whatever you want to call it) is definitely
>"protection by obscurity." If you knew exactly how it worked, you could defeat
>it, and run our product forever on every mainframe in the world.

Is there any licensing scheme for which that is not true?
It can be as simple as zapping a mask in a branch taken
when validation fails.

I imagine encrypting the executable code, and letting the preamble
"call home" to get the current day's decryption key.  But I still see
holes.

<STRAWMAN>Or run the entire application in "the cloud", where the
vendor could retain control.</STRAWMAN>

-- gil