On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:01:20 -0700, Phil Smith wrote:

>I'm sorry, I must be dense-I don't understand what this means. The keys were
>dirty? :) Seriously, what did they have you do with them?

I took a verbal shortcut.  I should have said we had to scrub all our
software to cleanse away the filthy keys.  I suspect we put them in
a key safe in case a future corporate acquisition re-re-verses the
policy.

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:10:14 -0700, Phil Smith wrote:

>As you note, "as far as we know". If the distributor was that dishonest, I
>assume this meant that the US folks had to handle all keys? I bet that was
>fun...lots of off-hours calls!

In part.  If the keys are CPU-specific and only the vendor, not the
distributor, knows the incantation for generating keys, the opportunity
for distributor dishonesty is curtailed.  But the vendor still needs to
be the locksmith for lost key incidents.

-- gil