On 29/06/2013, at 10:00 AM, Shane Ginnane <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:19:12 +0800, David Crayford wrote:
>
>> ...I've come to the conclusion that REXX is a dog. And seriously
>> underpowered for modern use cases
>> ... Poor old EXECIO has never looked more pathetic.
>
> And I thought Dave was quicker on the up-take than that ....  ;-)
> But his recommendation(s) need serious consideration.
>
> Lua - yet another "language" to maybe have a look at. I seem to have about
> half a dozen already "half-looked" at.

What you have to consider is what languages are available on z/OS. The cupboard
is pretty bare other than JVM languages which don't run in the native
environment. Most people consider mainframe modernisation to be replacing green
screens with GUI front ends. That's all well and good but what I really yearn
for are the tools that I'm used to on other platforms. I chose Lua because its
easy to port and I was already using it to create cross platform mobile apps
with the corona SDK. The z/OS ports of python and perl are stale. Ruby and
JavaScript are difficult to port to EBCDIC.

It's true that there are far too many languages to choose from. All of them
have strengths and weaknesses. Although Lua is well known as a video game
language and notorious for the flame/stuxnet viruses it runs brilliantly on
z/OS. Its so fast my colleagues thought I was tricking them and running
compiled code.

Quite a popular language
https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used