On 5/07/2013 4:17 PM, Martin Packer wrote:
Might be a silly question but do we have to use THEIR build system? In its
entirety?

No. But it's a lot of work if you don't. Most portable software comes with a configure script that builds a makefile with the correct configuration for your system. That may vary between different versions of z/OS depending on what is available in the C/C++ runtime. For a big port like OOREXX I just couldn't be bothered to expend that much energy. It can be done but would need investment and capable people to do it. I'm not that interested any more because there are easier options. If I wanted a language that only runs in USS I would look at JVM languages like Scala, Closure, Groovy. To get OOREXX to load modules from a PDS is non-trivial and to integrate it into TSO/ISPF is very difficult. And after all we're talking about scripting languages which are easy to learn.
I would rather learn a new language. But I'm probably in the minority there.

Cheers, Martin

Martin Packer,
zChampion, Principal Systems Investigator,
Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM

+44-7802-245-584

email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com

Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
Blog:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker

From:   David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   07/05/2013 08:06 AM
Subject:        Re: What programmer's fear (not IBM specific)
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On 5/07/2013 2:56 PM, Martin Packer wrote:
If that's true in Another World I wonder what it'd take to make it true
in
THIS one.
For a start somebody to port OOREXX to z/OS.
That's not going to happen until somebody first ports a recent version
of GNU autotools.
That's not going to happen until at least z/OS 2.10 when the new GNU
extended streams API is available.
We may be waiting a while...

The EBCDIC stuff in OOREXX is mostly complete. I did that years ago. I
bailed when it became clear that fixing the build system
was an intractable problem.