From:   David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   07/05/2013 08:06 AM
Subject:        Re: What programmer's fear (not IBM specific)
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On 5/07/2013 2:56 PM, Martin Packer wrote:
> If that's true in Another World I wonder what it'd take to make it true
in
> THIS one.

For a start somebody to port OOREXX to z/OS.
That's not going to happen until somebody first ports a recent version
of GNU autotools.
That's not going to happen until at least z/OS 2.10 when the new GNU
extended streams API is available.
We may be waiting a while...

The EBCDIC stuff in OOREXX is mostly complete. I did that years ago. I
bailed when it became clear that fixing the build system
was an intractable problem.

> Cheers, Martin
>
> Martin Packer,
> zChampion, Principal Systems Investigator,
> Worldwide Banking Center of Excellence, IBM
>
> +44-7802-245-584
>
> email: martin_pac...@uk.ibm.com
>
> Twitter / Facebook IDs: MartinPacker
> Blog:
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/MartinPacker
>

> From:   "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" <shmuel+...@patriot.net>
> To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
> Date:   07/05/2013 12:25 AM
> Subject:        Re: What programmer's fear (not IBM specific)
> Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>
>

> In
> <b870629719727b4ba82a6c06a31c291239e0fad...@hqmailsvr01.voltage.com>,
> on 07/04/2013
>     at 05:54 AM, Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com> said:
>
>> In an alternate universe, Rexx had the equivalent of CPAN created by
>> the community, and we all use it instead...and are much happier.
> In an alternate universe the standard REXX for CMS and TSO is OREXX
> with full block structuring, ranges, regexen and some control
> structures stolen from Icon and Perl.

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.