From:   "Vernooij, CP - SPLXM" <kees.verno...@klm.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   07/05/2013 02:42 PM
Subject:        Re: Announcing PCRE 8.33 for native z/OS
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

I think you are right.
I am one of those old dogs, who tries to avoid things with slashes
whenever possible.
I also wonder where and when regular expressions would be of great help to
me. From what I saw others do with them, I think that they are quite
useful in an unstructured chaotic environment, where you really need the
get a picture by trying to find meaningful patterns.
I think z/OS is that much structured that you seldom need mass force tools
to get a pattern. And when I do, it often concerns processing months of
SMF data with SAS, and I don't see Rexx with regular expressions do this.

But I might be wrong of course.

Kees.