From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, 9 July 2013 3:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: regex that never matches?

Kind of a programming challenge, in view of all the PCRE chatter hereabouts
lately:

A vendor once supplied an interface where one of the required arguments was a
regex to exclude from processing any matching line.  But I wanted every line in
my data processed.  So, how?
For my particular data, I could use:

    /Pattern that I know does not occur in my data/

or:

    / \000 \012 /

... unlikely to occur in lines processed by sed or awk.  But is there a general
case: a regex that will never match any string whatever?

-- gil