Radoslaw,

I agree with your question up to a point. Encryption of data at rest covers
most of the disk related scenarios to do with data protection. It especially
makes my favorite soapbox of erasing  disks with multiple overwrites a
redundant task.

But it is not encryption of data in flight. Data on the channel, in cache,
and transmitted from cache to cache by remote copy products is not encrypted
by controllers that support encryption of data at rest.

I don't have any problem with field, record or file level encryption, but
there is a downside if you are doing remote copy over a network, as it
encrypted data usually compresses very poorly. It's not a problem for
everyone.

Arye, Decru used to provide encryption devices for SCSI on Fibre Channel,
but I don't know if they ever extended that support to FICON.

Ron

If