From:   Ed Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   07/23/2013 05:39 AM
Subject:        Re: BLKSIZE=3120
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

Jim,

Good memory.
My memory is a bit different (not by much though).
DFP 3.1  first offered SDB
TSOe (I think) at 2.1 ++ many PTF's for Rexx .
I recall having not to implement XA for REXX (not being fully ready
and SWA (above) not being fully supported by vendors. In one case I
had to change the (CA's) source code and the other had to wait for a
ZAP from Compuware.
I was not a happy camper and was calling the vendors daily for an
update. Put back my installation by about a month. I had egg on my
face at work.

Ed

On Jul 22, 2013, at 9:03 PM, Jim Mulder wrote:

>> Long prior to the advent of SDB, I had formed the habit of omitting
>> BLKSIZE in my Rexx EXECs.  The Rexx function library was smart:
>> it chose good BLKSIZEs and/or I didn't much care about fractional
>> deviations from absolute optimality.  And, for all I knew (and didn't
>> care) it adapted well to different device types.
>
>   If I may quibble a bit with the reference to "Long prior to the
> advent
> of SDB":
>
>   REXX on MVS was introduced in TSO/E Version 2.1 for MVS/XA and
> MVS/ESA.
> I don't remember exactly when that was shipped, but I think it
> would have
> been in the
> 1987-1988 timeframe.
>
>   I don't remember exactly when SDB was introduced,  but I found an
> APAR  OY19694  which was opened on January 5, 1989   for an SDB-
> related
> issue.
>
> Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.