On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:25:23 -0400, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

>At 16:51 -0500 on 07/22/2013, Tom Marchant wrote about Re: BLKSIZE=3120:
>
>>Most PTFs should be able to be applied, restored and applied again
>>without issues.
>
>This is an issue since the design of RESTORE is broken due to its
>poor handling of SUPS/PREs If I can Apply a SYSMOD I should be able
>to restore it without needing to also restore any SYSMODs it PREs.

You and I can disagree about whether the design of RESTORE is "broken".

The point that I was trying to make is that some PTFs are poorly constructed,
with the result that they will not restore properly, given the rules for
restore.
In other cases, the PTF seems to restore ok, but when an attempt is made to
apply it again, it fails because of something that was left behind.

As to the way RESTORE was designed to take the elements from the
distribution zone, you have two choices.  You can restore prerequisites or you
can accept the prerequisites.  If you don't want to accept the prerequisites,
why not?

If you want to keep your distribution zone in its current state, you can always
clone your distribution zone and relate your target zone to the copy of the
distribution zone.  Then you can accept the maintenance to your cloned zone
in preparation for the RESTORE.  It isn't that big a deal.

--
Tom Marchant