On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 01:35:52 -0700, Donald Russell wrote:

>Hmmmm, yes, I can run Linux, and in fact have Linux running in the same
>lpar already. I can just create a Linux Userid (no need for another linux
>instance) and set their time zone accordingly and use a cron tab to trigger
>the event. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip. :-)

One caution:

Crontab always uses the system timezone setting; it's oblivious to
the user's setting of TZ (unless Linux has an extension).  The "at"
command, however, is TZ-savvy, so I've circumvented by using
crontab to trigger an event a few hours befor the intended time,
which triggers an "at" command to trigger the event in the desired
timezone.

Possibly another caution:  If the system is halted at the scheduled
time, crontab simply skips the event until the next day, unlike
WAKEUP which processes the event immediately upon restart.

z/OS Unix System Services has some timezone smarts, but, unlike
Linux, it is oblivious to legislative changes in timezone conventions.

-- gil