On 4 September 2013 09:41, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
<shmuel+...@patriot.net> wrote:

>>But Dynalloc did not exist until MVS,
>
> Not as a supported facility for user code, but it was there for use by
> DAIR in TSO. As I recall, the interface was different.

There was an SVC 99 in MVT, but it wasn't "dynalloc"; it was a
TSO-only service routine between DAIR and DADSM and such, with a
completely different parameter list and return values, and much less
function. (Some Dynalloc functions were done in DAIR itself without
calling the old SVC 99, e.g. allocation information retrieval.) A
Dynalloc SVC 99 invocation requires that the high bit of R1 be on to
show that it's the new format. Nowadays I believe SVC 99, when called
with the DAIR-type list, builds a "modern" Dynalloc list and falls
into Dynalloc processing. Since it was allowable to link-edit DAIR
into one's program, this calling format is in theory supported
forever.

Tony H.