On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

> I'm currently sticking the first three characters of TZ or a string such as
> EST5EDT in timezone_name, and I know that's wrong. What *should* I be doing
> instead?
>
> Charles
You should use the portion in front of the offset digits (5,+5, -2,
etc) during standard time (winter) and use the portion after the
offset during daylight savings time (summer).  Lengths may vary.  Date
ranges could be specified in the TZ variable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
has a nice list and a link to a tz database file.