On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 16:22:53 -0400, John Gilmore wrote:

>I'm not sure I understand Paul's last post.
>
>z/OS does keep the current leap-second count at hand.  This value
>changes at most twice a year, at the end of June and at the end of
>December; and ample advance notice, at least six months' notice under
>BIPM's rules, is given of an impending increment or decrement.

I thought it was four months.  Whatever.  But it does not keep a record
of the change history, necessary for converting archival timestamps,
assuming they were recorded in (E)TOD format.

>Consulting a real-time data base in these circumstances seems to me to
>be overkill.  Why not update a static table?

Agreed.  Consider the static table to be a cache of the data base, updated
as necessary, which is seldom.  In fact, I think ICANN and IERS supply
only flat files, to be formatted as necessary.

The multiplicity rises for civil time zones, but a static table in (virtual)
memory, suitably indexed, may still be the right approach.  UNIX likes
to use filesystem directories as pseudo-KSDS indices.

-- gil