Lost SAS many, many years ago. Basically we are bare bones. The only
compiler is COBOL (and increase in price is going to cause problems - big
.. BIG problems). We have HLASM, but I think that is again "bundled". And
we have REXX, which is likely a "no go" because the programmers don't know
it and therefore cannot support code written in it (and I'm not going to!)
. All the UNIX we have is just the free stuff. But nobody likes UNIX other
than myself. Most others who even know it is a part of z/OS have an active
dislike for it. It is neither z/OS nor Windows.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Barry Merrill <ba...@mxg.com> wrote:

> You could use SAS, which will read any record for you and present the
> logical record independent of the RECFM for F/V/VB/VBS, and for VSAM,
> although some VSAM files
> contain the record length in their first four bytes,
> notably SMF VSAM, but VSAM is detectable in byte 100 of the JFCB, so even
> that record can easily be handled
> handled.
>
> Barry

Maranatha! <><