From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Ross
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS 2.1 and tools like COBOL 5.1, Fault Analyzer, Debug Tool, etc

>Tom,
>
>Why convert to PDSE? I am curious? A stated IBM direction?

Converting to PDSE just makes it easier to use or move to COBOL V5.1.
PDSE is far better than PDS, lots of advantages, so you could view it as IBM
direction, but for COBOL, that is the only thing we can do.

In COBOL V5.1, we always generate parts of the object program with loadable
user classes, which are only supported by Program Objects.  Load Modules only
support class B_TEXT or B_PRV in object programs.

As Frank Swarbick suggested, it might be an option to use new PDSE Load
Libraries for newer code and add the new libraries to concatenations.
That would provide a one module at a time migration path, but it also might add
too much complexity to application build and maintenance.  The good people here
on IBMMAIN would know much better than I would.  Is that a reasonable option,
to just start using PDSEs from one day in the future for any programs
recompiled with COBOL V5.1?

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<