>From an application point of view,
Sysplex is generally an Availability objective.  While GRS Star and Extended
Catalogues are a good by-product, I
would not think the cost of creating a SYsplex is sufficient to enable those
types of functionality.  As I said, the
mechanics of setting up, or merging systems into a Sysplex is fairly
straight forward, and well documented; but I
still say you need to have those business objectives bought into by
management.  There is overhead involved
with Sysplex- small amount for basic, much larger amount for Parallel.  I
guess it was mostly curiosity on my part
about need; most folks on this list can point to the mechanical pubs, and
offer tips to succeed.  Sometime less is
more...  Happy to discuss further.

zNorman

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Skip Robinson
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:47 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Sysplex newbie

The performance advantages of GRS star over ring are *greater* than IBM's
official recommendations even for a minimal configuration. However, the
decision to go parallel is not cost free, requiring memory allocation in
addition to CPU resources.

We have a set of system images whose sole purpose in life is to mirror DASD
via XRC. They live on a single CEC. We chose from the beginning to go with
basic (CTC-only) sysplex for one reason: consolidated console. With a single
screen we can manage all of these systems. Basic sysplex is essentially free
if you have the channel connectivity required.

Like several other posters, I advise against over-merging test/development
and production for one major reason: SAF. Every shop I've been in wants to
enforce different security rules for production (more stringent) and
test/development (less so). You cannot maintain different rules unless you
have different RACF (or equivalent) data bases.

Someone asked about objectives for this project. The answer came in
technical terms. I would ask about business objectives. What are the
business goals for sysplex as opposed to traditional shared DASD?

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company