On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 17:19:44 -0400, Tony Harminc wrote:

>To say nothing of y+diaeresis U+00FF, which carries the strange
>baggage of having its lower case version ÿ in ISO 8859-1 (and CP 037,
>1047, and so on), but finding its upper case version Ÿ languishing in
>the higher reaches of the Unicode BMP at U+0178.

Many operating systems nowadays welcome files named in the
UTF-8 character set (notable exceptions are z/OS and z/VM).
OS X will let me name files in the Finder GUI in Greek, Hebrew,
Cyrillic, ...  But the GUI complains and prohibits names that
are not valid UTF-8.  (I can sneak around and assign such names
in Terminal line commands.)

But this raises a question for the case-insensitive partisans
(Windows bigots, IOW):  Should the OS or filesystem treat
files named "ÿ" and "Ÿ" as equivalent; allow either to be
referred to by the other name, and prohibit the occurrence
of both in a single directory?  It's unsatisfactory to suggest
that it should depend on one's locale settings; it's parochial to
suggest that the Roman alphabet should be case-insensitive
but the Cyrillic case-sensitive.

Similar concerns apply to diacritics; they can drastically alter
semantics.  The Spanish word for "year" is "año".  It's
important not to neglect the tilde; you get a very different
word.  (Are there similar examples in other languages?)

-- gil