Let's not forget IBM did so as well.
CE's (and others) used to carry reel tapes along with them. These tapes carries some nice surprises. They were (I think written by IBMers ) and got wide distribution to customers. There were of course the FDP's IBM even had a manual with those listed. I think they were essentially free or $25 (or there about). If memory serves me the programs were listed in a GC manual (ifffy here it might have been a GY or something close and close to 1/2 inch thick).

Ed