I should have mentioned that behavior I described occurs when the volume field
of LOADxx PARMLIB statements for such libraries is blank.  The doc for the
volume field includes:

"If '******' or '&SYSR1' is specified, IPL processing will
attempt to locate the specified data set on the system
residence volume. "

and indeed it does.