(We don't yet have 2.1, so I can't experiment.)

There was plenty discussion here of the new-fangled facility to
support symbol resolution in instream data sets, but I don't
recall whether this specifically was discussed:

What will happen (JES2, specifically) if substituting a symbol in
an instream data set causes a record to exceed the otherwise
LRECL (over which the programmer now has little control)?:

o LRECL is adjusted to accommodate (almost best)?

o JCL error (ugh!)?

o The record is quietly truncated?  Worst; even if a warning is
  issued the job should not be allowed to execute.  (I hate quiet
  truncation!)

Best of all would be to restore control to the programmer:
allow RECFM and/or LRECL to coexist with * or DATA on the
DD statement (presently they're mutex).  Those values, if
coded, should be merged with the DCB at OPEN.  An oversize
record, either read directly from INTRDR or created by substitution
should cause a JCL error (I believe this can be detected before
job initiation), and the programmer could change either the data
or the attributes and resubmit.

-- gil