On 21 October 2013 16:57, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:

> But there is no SYS1.SCUNTBL(CUNLM0EB) and an attempt to load the
> conversion table for 1047->850 with technique=L  fails:

This is surely from APAR OA37099. I mentioned this, and its "fix"
OA38383 in response to a post of yours entitled "z/OS Unicode Services
custom table?" on 2013-02-01.

> Unable to initialize CUNLCNV. RC=8, Reason Code=3,
> sourceCodePage="ibm-1047"(1047), targetCodePage="ibm-850"(850)
>
> Is it just a documentation error?  (There is actually no supplied table for
> 1047->850 with technique=L)

Over 500 tables were removed by OA37099.

> It turns out that there IS a table for technique=M.

That, and over 500 others, were added by OA38383. Woe betide you if
you have the first "fix" on, but not the second. But IBM has not
marked OA37099 as PE, or even made it clear that the the two are
related.

Yup. It's all very strange. A fix that broke behaviour that had been
unchanged for well over ten years. We had to issue an urgent warning
to some of our customers.

TonyH.