David Crayford writes:
>I wonder if there is a market for mainframe legacy applications to
>access NoSQL data stores?

Of course. Case in point: the IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator. The PureData
System for Analytics which powers the IDAA is, as it happens, a "NoSQL"
data store. However, applications keep using SQL to access something NoSQL,
including now static SQL.

We've perhaps come full circle. :-) I'm not big on the political/religious
wars, though, about relational v. non-relational. They're both wonderful in
my view, just as airplanes and railway locomotives are both wonderful.

You asked about JSON. Sure, no problem. There are many ways. To pick an
example, for CICS Transaction Server (as far back as Version 4.2), there's
the CICS Transaction Server Feature Pack for Mobile Extensions, available
at no additional charge here:

http://www.ibm.com/software/htp/cics/mobile/

You weren't specific about IMS Transaction Manager or IMS Database, so I'll
try to answer both ways. Of course routes via CICS Transaction Server work
if you have CICS TS. If you don't have CICS TS then you could use WebSphere
Message Broker for z/OS. Or you could use IBM Worklight in conjunction with
the standard IMS-included connectors. IBM Worklight is available for Linux
on zEnterprise today, and there's sn IBM Statement of Direction to make
Worklight available for z/OS as well. Worklight does much more than the use
case you describe, but it covers that use case, too.

Yet another example is via WebSphere Application Server for z/OS, either as
a full WAS instance or via a WebSphere Liberty Profile deployment on z/OS.
There are various JSON approaches that work within that context, too, if
you would prefer a Java Enterprise Edition (JEE) or JEE subset approach.

Still yet another example (depending on what you're doing) is to come in
via the z/OS Management Facility interfaces.

Anyway, those are just a few examples. There are others.

Timothy Sipples
GMU VCT Architect Executive (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com